Do I have to pay the insurance even if I don’t use the car or the motorbike? Let’s see what the Care Decree provides.
As with electricity and gas, it was also decided not to block the payment of expiring policies for IVF car insurance. The Cura decree excluded the possibility of suspending payments for compulsory insurance.
For this reason, should your insurance expire in the next few weeks, it must still be paid? The only intervention currently implemented by the government concerning car and motorcycle insurance is the extension of the insurance coverage beyond the natural expiration, passing from 15 to 30 days.
Let’s take an example: your insurance expires on 5 April, you still have 30 days to circulate with active insurance coverage, after which you will have to renew it or activate a new contract. The change is well explained in art. 125 of the provision:
Until 31 July 2020, the deadline referred to in article 170-bis, paragraph 1, of the legislative decree 7 September 2005, n. 209, within which the insurance company is required to keep the guarantee provided under the insurance contract operative until the effect of the new policy, is extended by a further fifteen days.
Auto insurance expiring
There are some things to take into account if you have an expiring car or motorcycle insurance:
- The renewal starts from the expiry date of the previous policy. Going back to the previous example, if your policy expires on 5 April 2020 and you decide to take advantage of the 30 days of additional coverage, your policy will still expire on 5 April 2021 when you renew.
- New Policy
- If, on the other hand, you want to change insurance company and take out new insurance, the date would be that of the subscription. Taking the usual example, if your policy expires on April 5, 2020, and you decide to take advantage of the additional 30 days, you could take out the new policy from May 5, 2020, expiring May 5, 2021, effectively earning one month of insurance. It’s not quite that smooth. If you change insurance after the deadline, then taking advantage of the extra days (15 or 30 as in this period) you could be sanctioned with a fine and seizure of the vehicle. Let’s go back to our example, let’s say that on May 4th a policeman takes a picture of you at the license plate, on May 5th you change insurance, well, you would be discovered with the insurance of 30 days. So, the extra days are to be exploited in case of renewal,
- Beware of ancillary policies
- If you have taken out ancillary policies with a contract other than that of car and motorcycle insurance, pay attention to tacit renewal.
- According to the Cura decree, claims that require the advice of an expert will need longer times to be treated:
- from 30 to 90 days in the presence of a CID;
- from 60 to 120 days without the CID;
- 90 to 150 days if there have been injuries to people.
Stationary cars and motorbikes: must insurance be paid?
You have decided not to use your car or motorbike anymore and you are wondering if you still have to pay the insurance with the vehicle stationary. The answer to your question is: it depends on where you parked your car or motorcycle :
- In case you have a garage and have decided to leave your car there, you can also not pay the insurance coverage.
- If, on the other hand, the car is stationary but parked on a public road, the insurance must be paid. This also applies to the internal parking of your condominium.